While a new roof will undoubtedly increase your home’s protection from the elements, there are even more benefits you can expect from this home improvement project. In addition to keeping out the rain, keep reading to learn what a new roof in Halifax, NS, can do for you and your home.
Enhanced Energy Efficiency
Many new options have arrived on the market that can help keep your HVAC system from working as hard. When your roof’s shingles reflect sunlight rather than absorbing it, you will see a fall in air-conditioning costs when your system doesn’t need to run as much.
For a roof that has reached its lifespan, reroofing can present a valuable opportunity. Realtors actually estimate that as much as 40 percent of your home’s curb appeal is directly linked to your roof.
It’s not uncommon for an old roof to equal a dangerous situation. An old and outdated roof is much more likely to collapse or cause part of the home to become unstable, resulting in costly damage.
Higher Resale Value
Househunters know that roof replacement comes at a premium; this is why many potential buyers walk away from homes that would soon be in need of a costly new roof.
Many homeowners today are interested in reducing the impact their home has on the environment. While installing solar panels is one smart way to make your roof more eco-friendly, not all homeowners have the ability to make this upgrade. If lowering your energy costs and reducing your home’s footprint is important to you, here are some easy-to-implement options.
Solar reflective tubes are a great way to bring natural daylight into almost any area of a house. “Daylighting” provides natural sunlight during daytime hours, which will benefit the environment by reducing electricity.
Insulation & Ventilation
You can benefit the environment and lower the heating and cooling costs of your home with proper insulation and ventilation. Making these changes will result in a reduction of the use of fossil fuels.
You can lower your impact on the environment by placing a water barrel on the downspout of your eavestrough. The water runoff from the roof can be collected and used for outdoor water purposes such as watering the lawn, garden, or cleaning outdoors.
You can extend the life of your roofing system by keeping the gutters, downspouts, and roof area free of debris. By utilizing a roof for its full lifespan and preventing a need for roofing repair in Halifax, NS, you can take advantage of cost savings and less material waste.
- Your Roof is Old – Do you know how old your roof is? If it is older than 20 years, you may need to have it replaced. Most shingle roofs last for about 20 years, while tile roofing can last for as many as 80 years. Most home inspection reports will list the age of your roof.
- Missing Shingles – Take a look at your roof. Do you notice any shingles missing? This issue is a huge problem and can cause a lot of damage to your home. The minute you notice any shingles missing after a storm is the minute you should call a professional to provide you with repair services.
- You Notice Light Coming from Your Roof – When you see light coming through your roof while you are in the attic, it is time to call your roofing repair specialists. Check the areas beneath the daylight spots. You are likely to find wet spots from water that comes through these holes.
Count on the team at All Seasons Contracting when it comes to roofing repair in Halifax, NS. We are ready to provide you with repair services and new installations, as well as a vast array of additional repair services for your home.
- Doing the Job Yourself – Are you a handyman who has had years of experience working on roofing and other home repair projects? For many of us, the answer is no. Doing your own roofing repairs and installations may seem like a smart plan, but you may end up causing more problems. These issues may force you to spend even more for a professional than you would have if you just hired them in the first place.
- Choosing the Cheapest Roofers – When any contractor has offered to perform a service for you at a price that is way lower than the competition, it is often too good to be true. Take the time to read reviews of these contractors before working with them.
- Waiting Too Long – The minute you notice a problem with your roof is the minute you need to contact a professional to make the repairs. When you wait, the problem will become much worse. When the problem is worse, you end up spending a lot of money on your repairs.
When you are seeking roofing services from a general contractor in Dartmouth, NS, you can trust the team at All Seasons Contracting to assist you. Our team of roofing specialists can help you in Halifax, Dartmouth, and the surrounding areas.
- Failing Shingles – Most roofing is built to last for at least as long as the warranty period. This period can be as much as 30 years for shingle roofing. Deteriorating shingles is one of the first signs of an eventual roof replacement. This problem eventually happens with all shingle roofing.
- Clogged Gutters – Gutters eventually get clogged and you will need to do something about it before you have to face more substantial problems. Clogs will cause damage to your roofing, provide homes for insects, and become fire hazards during dry spells.
- Pipe Boot Damage – One of the issues people often have to deal with is deteriorating pipe boots. The flashing on pipe boots tends to crack or peel away, which causes roof leaks. This common issue is why you should check these areas first when you notice a wet spot on your ceiling.
Take care of your roofing in Halifax, NS, with help from the team at All Seasons Contracting, LTD. Our local contractors provide roofing repair services, as well as new installation services.
- Make Repairs Now – Have you noticed any home exterior issues that you have just been putting off? It is essential that you take care of the problems now before storms start. Strong winds are known to cause incredible damage to roofs and other parts of the home that are already damaged.
- Keep Your Gutters Clean – You do not have to clean your gutters all the time, but it is imperative to make sure your gutters are working. If not, the water could overflow and cause damage to your roof, as well as the sides of your home.
- Have a Roof Inspection – Whether you have been noticing a few small leaks in your home or your roof is missing shingles, you should have a roof inspection to see what kind of repairs need to be made. By doing this now, you will be aware of what is going on with your roof and will be able to avoid more significant problems in the future.
Improving your roof at any time of the year starts with All Seasons Contracting, LTD. Our team is ready to work on your roofing in Dartmouth, NS, providing you with repair and new roof installation services.
Selling your home is a stressful time. There are many issues you should consider before putting your home on the market and one of those issues is the state of your roof. Before you sell, it may be a wise idea to repair or replace your roofing.
One of the biggest reasons you should invest in your roof before you sell is the state of the roofing will affect the value of your home. A good real estate agent who has the best interests of their client in mind may not even take them to a house that has a bad roof. Additionally, if you are not selling the property “as is,” you may have to lose some money when it comes to the negotiating process. Any smart buyer will want you to make the repairs before they buy the home. If you are not willing, then the only buyers you may have are investors who will want to pay dramatically less for your property so they can flip it.
Are you thinking about putting your home on the market? The team at All Seasons Contracting, Ltd., works with roofing in Halifax, NS, as well as Dartmouth. From full replacements to small repairs, we can assist you before you sell your property.
- Vents, Chimneys, and Skylights Frequently Cause Leaks – Any of these parts of your roof may be the source of your leak. When it is not raining, you should spend some time inspecting these areas to see if they are the source. Water may be flowing around these spots and getting into cracks.
- Test Potential Leak Areas with a Hose – If you have a general idea of your leak location, you can use a regular garden hose to find it. Have someone outside of your house spray the roof with water, and then go into your attic or crawl space to see where the water comes out.
- Clean Your Gutters – Gutters are an essential part of any roof. If your gutters have not been cleaned recently, the water may not be draining off your roof correctly, causing leaks on your roof and a vast array of other damage.
From repairs to installations, the team at All Seasons Contracting, Ltd., is here to assist you. You can call us today at (902) 830-7143 when you need assistance with roofing in Dartmouth, NS.
Replacing a roof is a significant home improvement and investment. While researching your options, all details should be considered such as the roofing material, color, and the contractor you choose for the job. We have put together a helpful list of do’s and don’ts to help guide you while making decisions related to roofing in Halifax, NS.
Do consider different material options.
You do not have to replace your existing roof with the same roofing material. Work with your contractor to discuss the best options for your region and budget.
Do consider style and aesthetics.
A roof can last between 20 and 30 years, so it is crucial to choose one that you like and has excellent curb appeal.
Don’t add a layer of roofing to an existing one.
Additional layers will add significantly to the weight of your roof. Underlying shingles can also experience moisture and other potential wear, which could lead to issues down the road.
Do request a detailed estimate.
Make sure that the estimate provided to you includes materials, time, and labor, as well as a projected date for completion.
Do check roofing contractor references.
Find out what other people are saying. Take the time to read online reviews, ask your neighbors, and request customer testimonials from your contractor to ensure that they are the best company for the job.
When it comes to protecting your home, taking care of your roof is the first line of defense. Your roof is your home’s protection from the elements. However, many homeowners still neglect the importance of their roof. Roof maintenance is often not considered until a problem has been identified, such as a leak.
While you may only need to replace a roof once or twice in your lifetime (if you are lucky), the choices you make regarding quality and material will have an enormous impact on your home’s structure, as well as your heating/air conditioning costs. Making uninformed decisions on such an essential part of your home can lead to moisture problems inside walls or above ceilings, as well as structural damage.
Before making decisions regarding roofing in Dartmouth, NS, keeping reading for the truth on some common roofing myths.
Myth: Your roof does not necessarily need an annual inspection.
Fact: It is a good idea to survey the state of your roof annually. A simple inspection will help identify problem areas so you can address them before any costly damage is done.
Myth: Damaged shingled roofs can be fixed by covering the existing layer with new shingles.
Fact: Covering an existing layer of shingles does not address the root of the problem. Invest in a replacement to get the job done correctly.
Myth: Anyone can re-roof, or repair their own roof.
Fact: Poor roofing jobs by non-professionals cause roof failures. Licensed professionals have the experience and knowledge to repair a roof properly the first time.